Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Fleur Flaneur Goes Couture: High Fashion in Upper Sololaki


A particularly fetching corset.
Turquoise shirt - 100 lari
Tbilisi is a place for acquiring musty things. Soviet-style leather jackets, jewelry from Dagestan, art nouveau photobooks from Karslbad - all of these things can be freely found in abundance in Tbilisi! However, when one is inclined to attend a Very Formal Function (and/or a Roxy Music concert), one may prefer to keep the shiny-baubley-jewelry and curtain-skirts to a minimum, and instead procure the services of one of Tbilisi's finest dressmakers.

I first became acquainted with Lily Kay Atelier in Sololaki when I spied a particularly fetching corset in the window. The corset proved too expensive a folly (either 200 or 270 lari - I can't recall), but their dresses, shirts, and jackets all wormed their glittery, elegant way into my bargain-hunting heart.

Fox fur dress, 120 lari
The true beauty of the clothes, however, lies in the fit; I purchased three pieces from Lily Kay, and in each case they tailored/altered the clothes to fit me exactly - alterations were included in the original price. Skirts were shortened, shoulders taken in - and thus did I purchase three of the most-used items in my wardrobe as a birthday gift to myself.
"Glam rock" jacket, 100 lari. Wig not included.

Prices were high by Tbilisi standards - but for the quality (and durability) and free alterations/tailoring, I think they were a welcome addition to my "special occasion" collection.

Lily Kay Atelier is located on the corner of G. Tabdize St (behind Freedom Square) and L. Asatiani St in Sololaki.
Prices: High when compared to my ordinary vintage-hunts, extraordinarily reasonable for "tailored to fit exactly, lined with fox fur". I still can't bring myself to spend over 70 quid on a corset, however. 100-200 lari for most off-the-rack pieces. They also make dresses from scratch.
The Look: For when you wish to sigh over a coffee at Pur Pur and sigh "darling, I've got to run. I've got a fitting with my dressmaker at eleven." Ridiculous peacock-feather-boas optional.
Best Accompanied By: A walk up Asatiani Street, pretending to be ridiculously wealthy and living in the pseudo-Ottoman palazzos.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I’ve been reading your blog almost from the beginning. I find it very interesting and enjoyable, especially since it differs from all other blogs of native English speaking expats in Georgia. They mostly focus on hard life in Georgia, but that’s not a correct way of understanding what this country is. Georgians have always been oriented on high life, and it seems like you got it!
Sincerely
George from Georgia